12.09.2008

Gingerbread Houses

I finally undertook making gingerbread houses on my own last week - I like it a lot better when we all get together and all I have to worry about is helping the kids decorate. It was a lot of fun (a lot of work, stress and mess), but it is really nice to share this tradition with my kids in a more individual setting. They had lots of fun and each house is so different and cute. Caleb even took the time to select the candies he specifically wanted - I can't believe his processing at age 2. I lost Luke and Caleb when it came time to do the roof, but Luke did his sidewalk and decided where Santa would go. The girls had so much fun and knew what they wanted to do - Haylee was able to do most of the piping by herself this year - Maddie just said where she wanted it. I had two of my sisters-in-law come and help (thanks Denise and Christine) I couldn't have done it without them. We kept Caleb's house, gave Luke's to David's parents, Maddie gave her's to her teacher and Haylee gave her's to her activity days leader. It's so much fun to share them with others.
Caleb's house

Caleb's back window - he made sure he chose the matching candies.

Caleb's front

Luke's house

close-up of Luke's sidewalk and front

Luke's stained glass window - he dumped a whole jar of colored sugar.

Luke's Santa on the chimney

Maddie's house

front of Maddie's sleigh

Maddie's

Maddie's star roof

Haylee's house

Haylee's marshmallow roof and tree in back

Haylee's front door

Haylee's

3 comments:

Gennifer said...

I still haven't baked mine.

Gina said...

You'd better get busy then - you only have two weeks until Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

You are a brave woman. Mags doesn't even know what a gingerbread house is and I'll keep it that way for a while:) The last time I tried to meke one was a total disaster. They all turned out really cute!!